Buy VPN

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Raising mealworms

So yeah.  Raising mealworms. Why?  I dunno. I get little time with my son so I want it to be a mixture of fun and throwing in some life lessons to help enlighten him. Because I won't be here forever and I want him to be as knowledgeable about sustainably as possible.  In the natural renewable sense.
In this case I taught him how to raise mealworms. And as you can see, we have done so with success thus far. We simply purchased a tub of mealworms from the pet store, placed them in a container full of oats for bedding and food and veggies for hydration.
  I actually used instant oats at first which I was informed was not the right thing to do but it turned out well.
  Then the meal worms appeared to be dying. I was sad. This was not the lesson I had intended to teach. As a matter of fact though, his first intro to death was at the age of three when his gold fish died. Impressively he understood. But that is a while other story. Ask me about it. I dare ya.
  As it turned out though they actually fell into what I call a food coma and a week later began to pupae. A week or so after that I had beetles.
Now to see if these little guys breed.
  More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment